M.S. Management of Technology | Technological Leadership Institute
Executive Education for Technology Leaders
Elevate Your Career with a
Master of Science in Management of Technology
MOT vs. MBA
The Technological Leadership Institute’s world-renowned M.S. in Management of Technology (MOT) degree program has been combining technology and business to advance both sectors for more than two decades. The MOT is a management degree with an emphasis in strategic technological leadership. Often compared to an MBA, the MOT has the following distinctions for technology-based professionals:
- Students study accounting, finance and marketing; however, the curriculum also covers technology forecasting, innovation management, new technology product development and commercialization.
- Students participate in the International Management of Technology Project to use the skills they’ve gained to address management of technology issues in the international market.
- Each student chooses a significant topic for the MOT capstone project. This work-based research project enables students to directly apply their MOT education at work.
The MOT degree program provides a competitive advantage to those seeking increased leadership opportunities in a technology-intensive business environment. Qualified applicants can fulfill the following admissions requirements:
- At least five years of full-time work experience in a science, engineering or technology-related career field
- Undergraduate degree
- Demonstrated tech-based managerial/leadership experience
- Recommendation letters from current managers
TLI has the oldest MOT program at a U.S. public university, and it’s one of just three in the world to be accredited by the International Association for Management of Technology (IAMOT).
Scholarships are available. Learn about requirements and deadlines.
34% TLI Grads are Executives in 5 years
100% Graduation 2007-
700+ MOT Alumni
MOT graduates gain the skills necessary to elevate their technology careers. Read more about how students and alumni are driven to transition into leadership roles within a variety of companies and organizations.
Our executive format allows students to continue to work full time while in school, featuring:
- a cohort-based model,
- small class size (maximum of 30 students),
- classes held one full day per week, and
- program completion in 21 months.
Visit our curriculum page to view detailed course information. TLI also offers a graduate minor in Management of Technology for students already enrolled in a University of Minnesota master's degree program.
Attend an Information Session
Master of Science in Management of Technology information sessions are led by Dr. Tariq Samad, the director of graduate studies for the degree program. Meet Dr. Samad, other MOT faculty members and TLI admissions staff by attending an information session.