Our Story | Technological Leadership Institute
The Technological Leadership Institute (TLI) is an interdisciplinary center at the University of Minnesota established in 1987 by an endowment from the Honeywell Foundation. The Institute is part of the College of Science and Engineering, which is ranked among the top engineering and science schools in the country.
TLI's mission is to develop local and global leaders for technology-intensive enterprises through its three Master of Science degree programs:
- M.S. in Management of Technology (MOT), a four-semester program aimed at transforming engineering, science and other technical professionals into business leaders.
- M.S. in Security Technologies (MSST), a 14-month program designed to shape tomorrow's risk management policymakers and innovators.
- M.S. in Medical Device Innovation (MDI), a 16-month program designed to prepare students to manage complex innovation challenges in the global medical technology industry.
TLI's academic programs are intentionally kept small and highly selective in order to ensure the highest quality student body and personal attention from faculty. All TLI degree offerings are tailored to empower professionals by:
- Focusing on leadership in technology-based environments
- Teaching technical professionals to analyze existing and emerging technologies
- Leveraging interdisciplinary faculty with real-world experience
- Bridging the gap between technology and business with applied learning
Results That Matter
TLI students and graduates are at the core of the Institute's success. The outstanding contributions they make to technology innovation within the program and post-graduation impact all aspects of high-tech industries. The professionals who enroll in our degree programs continue to be among the best of the best, as are the TLI faculty members who have dedicated their careers to grooming the next generation of technology leaders.
- 80+ Current Graduate Students
- 1,400+ Accomplished Alumni
- 60+ Dedicated Faculty & Staff
What sets the Technological Leadership Institute apart is the distinguished faculty and industry-leading experts that teach in our programs. Our instructors, many who are actively working in their respective industries, bring real-time, real-world, leadership experience directly to the classroom. The small cohort model allows students to build meaningful relationships with both the faculty and their classmates, developing a strong network of industry-leading professionals as they move forward in their career.
TLI's advisory board is comprised of prominent business and government leaders, as well as University of Minnesota alumni committed to strengthening Minnesota's technological leadership position through education, research and consulting. Advisory board members review curricula, suggest new programming opportunities, and support TLI’s public engagement activities.
Commitment to Success
The Technological Leadership Institute is dedicated to lifelong education through our degree programs, undergraduate experiences, and continuing education opportunities aimed at bridging the gap between business and technology. Learn more about the Technological Leadership Institute's organizational values.